How to Measure Your Kitchen to for a Renovation
So, you’ve decided that you’re ready to remodel your kitchen, you’ve found the best company to help you, and you’re ready to head to their showroom for a free design consultation. It’s a pretty easy process so far, right? Although your kitchen design company will be doing most of the work when it comes to the remodel, you have one very important job to do before they start drawing up the plans: you have to measure your kitchen. We’re help, in this article you’ll learn how to measure your kitchen for a renovation quickly and easily.
Accurately measuring your kitchen in preparation for a design consultation will help the remodel company you’ve hired do their jobs to the best of their ability. It will also allow you to choose the perfect cabinets, countertops, and appliances for your space!
Madera has been making the best kitchen cabinets in Phoenix for many years. We have guided thousands of clients through the consultation and design process, so we know exactly how to make the process go as smoothly as possible – and we’re going to share that knowledge with you!
Here’s how you can measure your kitchen to prepare for a kitchen design consultation with Madera or the best kitchen design company in your area.
The initial design consultation will be the first time that you meet with your kitchen design company. They will want you to bring the following:
- Current photos of your kitchen
- Examples of styles that you like
- The appliance sizes you have or will be getting
Before you panic about how to measure your kitchen for a design consultation, let us put your mind to rest. It is much easier than you think! All you need is a tape measure, a piece pf graph paper, a ruler, and a pencil.
Note: All measurements should be done in inches
- Starting in one corner of your kitchen, take a tape measure and measure until you reach a door, window, or other obstruction.
- If you reach a window or door, start a new measurement on the outside of the trim and continue until you reach another obstruction or a corner.
- Repeat this process until you reach a corner, and then begin again with a new measurement.
- Complete the wall measurement by measuring corner-to-corner to get the full wall measurement.
Windows & Doors
- Measure the window/door width from outside edge of the trim on either side.
- Measure the door/window height from the outside edges of the trim or molding.
- Measure the distance between the floor and the bottom of each windowsill.
- Note which way each door swings and which entry point has a door or is simply a doorway.
- Take a tape measure and measure the distance between the floor and the ceiling. You may want to have someone help you with this, especially if you have high ceilings
- Take the measurements in a few different places throughout your kitchen, just in case your home isn’t level. This is extremely common in older homes
- If your kitchen has soffits, measure their height and how far they come out from the wall.
After you have all of the measurements, it’s time to put them together on a piece of graph paper. This will give your design consultant a better idea of the space that they’re going to be working with.
- Start by drawing the perimeter of the room and notate how long each wall is
- Draw rectangular boxes where the windows are and leave spaces where the doorways are
- Notate how wide each space is in between the doors/windows and stop measuring at each corner – begin a new measurement each time you reach a new corner
- In the middle of the page, write the floor to ceiling measurements
When you are finished, your rough sketch should look something like this:
Don’t worry too much about getting the exact measurements or making your layout sketch look perfect. One of your kitchen design professionals will eventually be coming to your home to get exact measurements. This is just to give your remodeling company a general idea of the space that they’re working with.
Once you’ve provided your kitchen remodel company with measurements, photos, and design ideas, they will create a digital rendering of your space. From there, you can go over your intentions and change things around until you have created the digital kitchen of your dreams!
After you’ve selected the best cabinets, chosen the most exquisite countertops, and approved the final digital design, your kitchen designers will get to work. All you have to do is sit back and get excited about the brand-new kitchen you’re about to have!
Hire Madera Cabinets for the Best Kitchen Remodel in Phoenix
Madera provides Arizona cabinets and has everything you need for the kitchen remodel that you’ve always dreamt of. Fill out our online form to get started and receive 10% off your entire order! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our design specialists if you have any questions about measuring your kitchen before an initial design consultation.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
Why Reputation Matters In Kitchen Design
Why Reputation Matters In Kitchen Design free design consulation In any business, reputation matters, and when dealing with a person’s primary residence it makes it all the more important. For most people, their [...]
Are Quartz Countertops Worth The Money?
Are Quartz Countertops Worth The Money? contact us When shopping around for new kitchen countertops in Phoenix, you’ll find that granite, laminate and quartz are among the most popular options. You’ll also find [...]
How Often Should You Renovate Your Kitchen?
How Often Should You Renovate Your Kitchen? There is no doubt that the kitchen renovation can be an exciting way to refresh your home and breathe new life into your space. However, it [...]
Address: 745 W Baseline Rd, Suite 15, Mesa, Arizona 85210
745 W Baseline Rd, Suite 15, Mesa, Arizona 85210
HOURS OF OPERATION
Mon – Fri:
10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sat – Sun:
Licensed, Bonded, and Insured. ROC# 335-337
HOURS OF OPERATION
Mon – Fri: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sat – Sun: Appointment Only
Licensed, Bonded, and Insured. ROC # 335-337
MADERA CABINETS LOCATION